Aug 29, 2008

August 29th

Today is my daddy's birthday. He would have been 53.

I bought a plane ticket to LA this morning. I laughed to myself because the last time I saw my father, I was leaving for LA. Moving, in fact, to California. Days after my little sister's high school graduation. I was so happy to be going. And my dad left work, drove all the way to the airport so he could say good bye. And as soon as I got on that plane, I missed him. I missed my whole family. Moving away was the biggest thing I'd done in my whole life. Going to college didn't count.
And just 5 short months later, he was gone....................

But today is his birthday. He and Mom would have gone to dinner, seen a movie. Allyson and I would have sent cards and made phone calls. He would have said something goofy and I would have been irritated.

I don't know.......I don't know what my life would have been like without my daddy. My tall, goofy, nerdy, overprotective daddy. My daddy who lived his whole life for his family, whether or not we even deserved it half the time (my sister and I could be terrors when we wanted. Remind me to tell you about the time I chased her ass around with a knife or the time she thought almost wrecking the car was a good idea). My loving, slightly impatient, exasperated with the women who outnumbered him 3 to 1 in his own damn house daddy.

I miss you.

Photobucket
R.I.P. Mr. Michael Lee -- August 29, 1955-October 7, 2006


1 comment:

SunArcher said...

August 25th marked half of my life without my mom. I know how it is, and I raise my glass to your pop. Hold ya head high, girl. :)